The Walter J. Roush Rehabilitation Wing was dedicated on April 6, 1975 as a 33 bed secure detention and residential treatment facility in memory of the late Walter J. Roush, who was born February 21, 1927 in Lima, Ohio. On October 13, 2011 the facility was rededicated the “Walter J. Roush Juvenile Detention Center.” Mr. Roush graduated from Lima Central High School; attended Ohio Northern University for three years in the field of Education; served seventeen years at Baldwin Lima Hamilton as a Sales Product Supervisor; and, was veteran of the United States Navy, having served two years in the South Pacific. Mr. Roush came to the Juvenile Court of Allen County, Ohio as a Probation Officer on February 17, 1964 and was subsequently made Chief Probation Officer under the late Judge Paul J. Rockey, serving in that capacity through the remainder of his years with the Court until his death on December 30, 1968. Mr. Roush was the privileged husband of Eleanor L. Casey and proud father of two children, Brad and Bretta. Recognized as a leader in the community for his untiring efforts in counseling, advising, and working with the youth of the community he became know as a “Friend of the Boy.” Mr. Roush believed in young people, lived with young people, and knew the young people of his day.
The Walter J. Roush Rehabilitation Wing, more commonly known as the Allen County Juvenile Treatment and Detention Center operates under the auspices of the Juvenile Division of the Allen County Court of Common Pleas. The facility is part of the David O. Steiner Juvenile Services Center located on 4.1 acres at 1000 Wardhill Avenue in Shawnee Township, Lima; Allen County, Ohio. The Treatment/Detention Center provides sleeping facilities, shower facilities, indoor/outdoor recreational/leisure areas, educational classrooms, administrative offices, and treatment/counseling facilities. The rated capacity is for 30 youth in two wings, 19 Detention beds and 11 Treatment beds in a one-story brick and concrete structure constructed in 1973 and opened in 1974.
Current & Previous Facility Directors
1974 – 1985 Robert P. Sleczkowski
1985 – 2007 Larry W. Webb
2008 – 2014 Berlin R. Carroll
2014 – Present Steve Brown